I stumbled on this next recipe when I was still a new enough bride to try unusual recipes. I have since been conditioned to shy away from anything that doesn't obviously tout Meat, Cheese, and Potatoes--with no weird vegetables messing up the good stuff.
And here is where I clarify that my husband will eat anything I make, and not complain...per se. He swears he's not a picky eater. ;) An ongoing debate in our house. I resolve within myself that he is a very Respectful and Kind Picky Eater. Meaning, I know when he doesn't like something, but he'd never be rude enough to comment on it. And since I am the Help Mate in this whole thing, I do not want to make something he won't enjoy.
So, here's the weird recipe. And B.daddy does indeed like it a lot. "Maybe not as much as regular chili... But it's good. I like it. I do!"
You get the picture.
Pumpkin Black Bean Chili
~10-12 servings; fills up a big Crock Pot or dutch oven
2 lbs. chicken or turkey, ground & browned or breasts cooked and shredded
1 medium onion, chopped
2 yellow bell peppers, chopped
3 tsp. minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
3 T. chili powder
3 tsp. ground cumin
2 19 oz. cans black beans, drained
2 16 oz. cans pumpkin puree
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (or diced if your husband doesn't mind the chunks) ;)
water & chicken bullion
1~Prepare the meat and set aside. Saute the onion, pepper, and garlic in oil till tender. Stir in spices and cook for 1 minute.
2~Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Add enough water and appropriate amount of chicken bullion to fill pot.
3~Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours.
Now, this Chili doesn't need the Southern fixin's of Fritos, cheese, and sour cream. It is so delicately delicious that it's perfect with corn muffins or plain ol' Saltines.
And without further ado, here are some more photos of our children. i.e. Grandbaby Pictures!




In the top pic, Poppy said Gizmo is probably contemplating digger action, forget this baking stuff...LOL!!
ReplyDelete