20110314

Gussied Up


I have three older sisters, all alike in beauty and in grace, and I got to have a lunch date with one of them this last weekend. She took me to Ya-Ya's which is one of her FAVORITE!! places--always expressed with such emphasis. I just had to try it, and it was wonderfully delicious. Which, $2 mimosas make pretty much anything delicious. Even to a snob like me. ;)
What struck me when we walked in was the smell. These blessed olfactory receptors received nothing but bacon, sweet belgian waffles, and perfume. Yep. It was Sunday mornin'--not that that really makes a difference--and everyone was Gussied Up! Even the heathens who didn't go to church were dressed to the 9's. For the last four--has it already been four?--weeks I have been struck, and honestly, intimidated by how Pretty everyone is. I know I should be used to it since I grew up here. But more than anything, I'm just thinking, "Of course I was always self-concious! Every single girl I see is ready to take the stage." And again, that liberal, New England voice says, "Damned if I do! I'm going to change this culture!" But, you know, I've got my own stuff to deal with. And the whole of Arkansas to honk at.
So, it has been a bit of an adjustment. But I will say that today I managed to not wear make-up. All day long. See...I've tried. A number of times, I've restrained myself from putting on that pleasing face in the a.m., but by the time I actually need to get out I think to myself, "Oh, but what if someone thinks I'm sick?" Because, like, seriously, no one leaves the house without make up on. So I usually opt on the side of make up. With the amount of personal information that passes between strangers, I'm really worried that someone will walk up to me and ask how my chemo is going.
Truly, that's absolutely nothing to bother about when I consider the incredible break I am getting. Take for instance, tonight. Li'l bit has a belly ache. Her bowels have been loose for several days (and I know all 4 of my readers are moms so I can say that), and I've been worried about the toll this move is taking on her. Normally, diarrhea would have to be remedied by t.v. and water, while Babydaddy and I wrassled the other two through dinner and bed. But tonight, I was actually able to sit on the couch and read to her for hours while the other two were upstairs being fed by their Grammie. And I don't even have to wash the dinner dishes.
So I guess I can put on my big girl pants and wear a little bit of make up.

3 comments:

  1. Just so you know, one of your 4 faithfully reading "moms" is a "dad."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! (at above comment)

    Would love to see you in real life if you get a moment and want to hang. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just hafta say a hearty AMEN to this. I didn't realize the "gussy" factor till I moved *back* to Arkansas after living in a foreign land (PHX, AZ) for 4 years. Every morning I wear mascara to rid myself of the chemo look.

    ReplyDelete