20110816

Promises, promises...

A home inspection on a New England colonial built in 1832 can turn up some very interesting things. Take for instance, an abandoned--ahem, an OLD, abandoned toilet in the dirt-floor basement. Our inspector advised us to not use it. Don't have to tell us twice.
And then there's the main structural beam that needs some help. Not because of moisture or termites, but simply because of age. Or the dryer that vents directly into the laundry room and not the great outdoors. Or the 6 1/2 foot ceilings upstairs. Or the clogged sink drain. Or the electrical outlets not up to code. Or the bad caulk job in the bathroom.
But do you know what it does have?
For us?
Promise.
I'm not talking about flipping the house. As crazy as it sounds, we aren't solely sold on the real estate potential. We're sold on the promise of a home. We're sold on the promise that God can provide for all our needs.
When we started this crazy Arkansas experiment, one of our greatest hopes was that we might actually save enough bank to buy a house in the Boston area. That hope became an unspoken dream, which quickly became a pipe dream. I even became embarrassed that I had thought it possible.
Then this happened.
Not two weeks ago, B.daddy sent me a link to a house. He's done this a number of times, and every time I've said, "Yeah. Nice. But what do you want for dinner?" This time, I saw it. My immediate response: "This might be perfect." I realize perfect is a relative term, especially since I was sitting in a very luxurious, southern home at the time. This house could not be more dramatically juxtaposed to another house. But perfect it is.
When we left Boston in February, I started praying for our future home. I prayed for an extra bedroom...it has it. I prayed for an extra space for schooling...it has it. I prayed for a deck and a backyard...check. I prayed for a laundry room on the main living floor...yep. (Didn't think to pray about the venting. *wink*) My list of specific requests was daringly long, and God has provided every single thing in this old, quirky house. All of that and it's less than $300k! Needless to say, we love it!
This has been one refining process. Let me tell ya'. Apparently I have some trust issues. And, apparently, I'm kind of prone to freaking out when I can't control the outcome of things. It took 48 hours to get our offer signed, and I've never prayed so hard and continually in my life excepting childbirth. And I've never cried so hysterically in all my life as when I thought we were going to lose it.
So, our offer has indeed been signed, and obviously we've had our inspection done. In Mass you have to go through another step before closing. It's kind of a big deal. It's the Purchase and Sale Agreement, and we aren't supposed to fall in love with the house until that is signed. Too late for that.
But you know what? We're all in. Feet first. I'm trusting that this can happen.

2 comments:

  1. So thankful for this house! I have hoped against hope right along with you and prayed that you guys would be able to buy a house in Mass!!! So thrilled! I cried reading this, I'm just a big old sap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we flipped the house. Oops...;) I love you Moma! God brought you to the house that would become something more than a house. It became a home!

    -l'il bit

    ReplyDelete