20111123

good things

I still see good things all around. Some are actual things that help us settle in and make our home run; some are souls making my heart go tick-tock. My dear Debi (from Arkansas) knew the challenges ahead as we pondered the purchase of a home built in 1832. Before we left she gave me this gorgeous, glass bead. With an eye for craftsmanship and beauty, she had bought it from the artist years ago. She said, that even though we'd have to turn on our bedroom light with a pull string, at least it'd be beautiful. And that kind of sums her up. She sees the beauty--or searches for it when it is hidden or lost--and basks in it! So I pull this string ten times a day, and I remember to look through Debi's eyes and laugh at the quirks of this old home. I mean, my husband is old, but am I going to toss him out? *wink*
We found this secretary's desk on our search for a dresser. Throwing it in with the dresser allowed us to get a good deal--which we are ALL about! So I have a wonderful, functional piece with history to replace the IKEA desk we've used for years. I've loved that IKEA desk, but our little interior needs all the support it can get--especially from the furnishings. Notice the wood paneling? Thankfully they only covered two rooms with that trash. It will get painted until we can rip it down and absorb whatever cost lies behind. *gulp*
The inside is even cooler than the outside! Not sure what "homeschool" supplies will fit in those slots yet. But the kids love the secret door in the center.
And this is the dresser! I don't think I've had a dresser since I was a child, basically. I've always made my closets work--with the help of plastic bins. But, get this, our closet sucks. :) So my clothes have been in a suitcase and boxes since we got here. Not very pleasing aesthetically...or functionally. After many weeks of searching, we found the perfect dresser. And I kind of love it. It's a merry Christmas to me.
I recently went to Vermont with a gal pal. The door latch above was on the front door of our B&B. I took a picture because all the doors in our house have these latches--in need of TLC, but still, they're here. I wasn't really appreciating them at first--I hoped for original hardware, but I didn't know quite what to expect. I guess I expected a true antique that worked exactly the way I wanted. See, these latches don't have locks. Imagine our guests' anxiety at the thought of a rambunctious five year old barging in on their very private bathroom business. We'll figure that out in time.

Now onto the souls who make this home run...
Li'l Bit has been itching to cook lately. On this particular morning she had me make pancakes so she could make Pancake Bunnies for everyone. The kids loved it! She's been doing a lot of work in the kitchen since then, which I'm trying to allow and enjoy. Right now I have to watch her every move, and I could do it so much more efficiently by myself. But she loves cooking. And maybe one day....*dreamy music begins*.....I'll actually be able to say, Hey, Cav, will you cook dinner tonight? And then I can just sit on the couch and drink some wine. In, like, 5 years.

We've had a very mild Fall. It's been warm WAY more than it's been cold. But right after our October snow, the kids had a few cold mornings. One day, our boiler wasn't kicking on quite right, so the kids ate breakfast under blankets:


It might help if they would actually wear clothes around the house. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Love the posts and pics. It is truly enjoyable catching up a little bit now.

    ReplyDelete