Today was a really good day.
Finally!
I need to document this day, so I won't forget that we do actually get it right from time to time.
I've been reading my book on anger and dedicating a lot of prayer and mental energy to ridding myself of something I really don't want to have. Like. Really. I don't want to be angry. I'm done.
It's not so much that I want to be a wonderful wife and mother; not so much that I want to be a peaceful presence. I'm just sick and tired of losing my self-control to whims of anger. I've given in and struggled with it for way too long. I'm over it.
And so, I am happy to report that we are nearing the end of our fourth week of school (only 32 more!) in the Crazy House, and things have been far from crazy. There have been hard moments, and I've not been perfectly patient and compassionate by any stretch of the imagination! But it's been better than it's ever been. And that, my friends, is a good thing.
This morning was shockingly peaceful. Gizmo and Ladybug were up with the birds, but Li'l Bit, who has the heaviest school-load, slept until 8:45. (She was reading until 11pm...again.) In the back of my mind, I knew I wanted to get us to the beach midday. Parking is free, dogs are allowed, and it's not too cold yet. But we couldn't go unless Gizmo and Li'l Bit both finished ALL of their demanding work. I.e. reading, handwriting, narration & composition writing, grammar, and math. (Oh, math!) Only then could we pack up our history, art, bird book, and memory work to enjoy God's creation whilst learning about it. So I should have been stressed and rushed and typically crabby. Be it either fluke or mercy, I was not. And by 12:45, we were heading to the beach with strawberries, broccoli , and PB&J's. (I would have killed for some fancy cheese and rosemary crackers!)
The kids had a blast! How perfect could one day be?! Sunny and clear with a cool, boisterous breeze that kicked up the waves of the cove so much I had to read our history and science with vigor. The kids were in heaven digging moats in the sand and building bridges with driftwood. I threw in our sketchpad and colors so each kid could have some quiet, creating time. And since it's off-season, Bruiser finally got to tag along for a beach trip! How happy he was digging in that cool, wet sand! We left the beach in a jovial mood which must have leant itself to the following topic.
Do not ask me how this started, but Li'l Bit made some nonchalant remark about preferring her belly be cut open to extract future offspring. I happen to feel pretty strongly about the body's ability to bring forth said offspring on it's own--when given the chance, barring dangerous medical conditions--and somehow we landed on the topic of The Three Holes. I couldn't believe she didn't know where a vagina was located!
I was that annoying young mother who refused to use pet names for "private parts." I distinctly remember changing Li'l Bit's diapers and pointing out to her--everyday--all of her "private" body parts by scientific name. Somewhere along the line I prioritized more important things. And here I am with an 8-year old who can't find her baby hole?
Holy crap!
So Li'l Bit's nighttime talk-time included the following picture:
I explained all the basic parts and what they're good for. You know. Pee, poop, and babies. She soaked it all in, and Ladybug commented that our bladder looks like a leaf. :) That girl will keep me in stitches till the day I die.
So there you have it.
A "good day" in this homeschooling home. We begin with desperate prayers and sleeping in from too much reading, and we end with the birds and the bees.


No comments:
Post a Comment