20130718

Food. It Does a Body Good.

It's wicked hot up here.
When our "ancestors" built this house back in 1832 they didn't leave room for central air ducts.  They also built the ceilings nice and low to trap the heat during those long, cold winters.  So we're kind of hot.  My tiny kitchen gets super hot, when used.  My solution: don't use it!  Brilliant.  Oh, but we still have to eat?  Everyday?
How then do we eat full, healthy meals everyday AND keep my brow dry?
The Crockpot.  She's not just for winter time anymore!  I do the work in the cool morning hours, and there's no giant heat source running in the kitchen.  Just a cute, little pot. (Mine is actually really big, but you know what I mean.)
Using the Crockpot in Summer has really challenged my creativity.  Maybe the heat is making my brain sluggish, but when I see a Crockpot I think of Chili and Golden Autumn Stew. That's it. When I think of Summer food I think of the grill.  I did that last Summer, and let me tell ya'. That thing puts off A LOT of heat.  I wasn't sweating in the kitchen, but I was boiling outside.
So. Summer Crockpot ideas.  I've found that Mexican food bodes well with Summer heat.  I did some chicken tacos via Crockpot that were delicious, and so easy.  I did Taco Soup--wonderful.  Last night we had Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice--so easy, so filling, so good.  In lieu of grilling burgers or chicken for sandwiches, I've done Sloppy Joes in the Pot, as well as BBQ Pulled-Chicken.  What I'm really excited about, though, are my Fancy Franks and Beans.
We love Red Beans and Rice, but it is a cold weather meal in our house.  We love it because it is super yummy, extra filling, and you can make a ton of it for next to nothing.  You can also leave the meat out and still have a complete meal.  I've been trying to think of a Summer alternative for years.  I have finally found it!
Fancy Franks and Beans.  The beans are white, and you use white wine and fresh herbs for your flavor.  Although you use a lot of herbs, they are whole and bunched during cooking and removed before serving.   Your sweet kids (and husband) don't have to look at a bowl of dark, green broth, trying to figure out how to convince you to NOT make them eat it. :)  The flavor is very full and complex, but also clear and light.  It is perfect for Summer!  Here's the recipe:

Fancy Franks and Beans

(these quantities are for a large Crockpot and lots of empty bellies. you can easily cut it down to size.)
ingredients~
1 lb. bag great northern beans, soaked overnight
olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
9 garlic cloves, minced*
2-3 pounds smoked sausage (or Italian sausage, if y'all like that sort of thing)
2 cups dry white wine
15 fresh parsley stems
15 fresh sprigs thyme
5 fresh sprigs oregano
4 bay leaves
4 chicken bouillon cubes

prep~
~Put your soaked and drained beans into the Crockpot.  Add enough fresh water to allow the beans to cook thoroughly, turn Pot on high.  Add the bouillon and wine.
~Gather herbs into bunches and tie together with kitchen twine.  Add bunches and bay leaves to Pot.
~Heat olive oil in skillet and cook onions, garlic, and 1/3 of your sausage, cubed, until onion is softened.  Add to Pot.  Cook on high for about 6 hours, stirring occasionally and testing beans for softness.  As soon as the beans are soft enough, turn the Pot to low.
~At the 6 hour mark, remove the herbs and bay leaves from the Pot. (If there seems to be way too much broth, you may remove some and set it aside.)
~Slice the rest of your sausages and saute in olive oil.  Add to beans, and serve it up!  You can also top each bowl with chopped fresh herbs.

Everyone in this household loved this recipe--even Bruiser!  And all three kids liking the same bean dish is kind of a big deal.  The recipe is pretty simple, so you could take it any which way you want, depending on who you are cooking for, of course.  I'd like to taste it with some fresh, Summer tomatoes added at the end.  But my fam would barf. ;)


*Best garlic tip I've heard to date:  in your grocer's produce section, buy the fresh, peeled garlic.  Put it in your freezer, take out cloves as needed, leave @ room temp for about a minute, and then you can mince it.  Better flavor than anything dried or preserved and easier than peeling them yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment