There is one thing about which I am anal-retentively disciplined. Only one. (It's all I can manage at a time.)
Grocery shopping.
I struggled with this for years, because I quite passionately detest grocery shopping. It involves spending money, engaging with strangers, and heavy lifting. Then managing three ruffians in public on top of all that--nightmares ensue! I've tried various ways of acquiring groceries over the last eleven years. I even used grocery delivery for a short time. But, over the last two years I have finally settled into a system that works for me. I will share it with you today, but take it or leave it. What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.
Since I hate this task, I counter-attack the unpleasant variables. I give you my parameters:
| Doing a little grocery shopping of his own. |
2) Get it done as peacefully and quickly as possible. (No crowds.)
3) Do not involve the children or impose upon their school days.
So, where, when, and how do I stay within these parameters?
Where: There is one grocery store in Massachusetts that has the best prices. One. Market Basket. Therefore, going to Market Basket means girding your loins, applying war paint, and braving the hoards of aggressive, grumpy shoppers. BUT, if you go at 7 a.m. as soon as the doors open? Well, you only have a dozen shopping buddies. And they are much nicer than the 10 a.m. crowd!
So that is When I go. Every Saturday at 7 a.m. Habit is essential! If I don't do it on that day at that time I risk far less efficient shopping, which results in spending too much money and one heck of a cranky headache. I realize 7 a.m. on a Saturday is not when one wants to be out of bed or doing a chore. But, right now, it is the best thing for the whole family. Shopping with the kids is not good. I can't think clearly and compare prices when they are running around begging for discipline. And their requests.....well, if I don't warn them ahead of time to NOT. ASK. FOR. A. SINGLE. THING. after much frustration and fussing (on my part) I will eventually buckle and buy them some silly something. Or we'll all leave the store very near tears. Or both. OR if they are perfect angels throughout the trip, I will be so grateful that I'll buy them some silly treat. Also, going at that time doesn't infringe upon our weekday schedule or take away from any plans we have for the weekend. It feels so good to get the groceries put away by 8:30 a.m. knowing that our kitchen is fully stocked and ready for whatever the weekend brings.
![]() |
| Nonsense in the kitchen. |
Planning and Saving Strategies
| Aren't birthday cakes the whole reason we have birthdays? |
![]() |
| Ah, the summer tart! |
Before I plan my meals I check the sales in meat and produce. I'll skim the rest of the products on sale for my staple items, but our heavy hitters are meat and produce.
![]() |
| Fresh fruit and homemade bread? Yes, please! Oh, and don't forget the cinnamon butter! |
Meat, meat, meat. We are a carnivorous family. You know we are having a LEAN week if we have meatless meals. So my menu plan centers around what meat is the cheapest at the store. You have to remember that some meats will have a great per pound price, but you're buying the skin and bone as well. This can make a very big difference in how many portions you can squeeze out of it. My goal is to spend less than $2 a pound.
![]() |
| Chocolate mornings. |
~Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are great for almost anything. Works for our family b/c none of us are white meat purists.
~Bone-in ham. Ham is tricky. Depending on the preparation and packaging it can either be really cheap or really expensive. I find the portion that has had almost no processing. It's just a giant chunk of meat with a big ol' bone in it. It's an "investment" meat--I cut it up and freeze it. After I cut it accordingly, I can usually squeeze three or four meals out of it--assuming the ham is not the only ingredient in the main dish--and also have the bone w/ a bit of meat on it. I use the bone portion when I'm making something like Red Beans and Rice or Black-Eye Peas.
~Pork/Pork Chops--depends on the sale price. Sometimes a pork loin goes on sale and I'll snatch two of those puppies up. Er, piggies?
~Beef--sadly, ground beef is no longer the cheap, meal maker it used to be. There are two stores--not MB--where I can usually get ground beef for $2.50 per lb. or less. I'll stock up when I can get to those stores. When I want a semi-fancy dinner though, I'll get a flank-type steak, grill it; slice it, and serve it over a spinach salad w/ crazy-good bread.
As I said in my last post, I make most things from scratch which saves us a lot of dough.
~I try to avoid buying prepared cereals. We are fully stocked on them right now, because we are gearing up for baby girl's arrival. But under normal circumstances, I try to stick to oatmeal, eggs, toast, and fruit for breakfast. Or pancakes if I want to push school back by a couple hours. ;)
~I do buy pretzels and crackers for my two carb-loving men. They are healthier and cheaper than chips, which is what they'd really love to have. And Gizmo could eat a constant stream of carbs and still be able to eat supper.
~And regarding carb-lovers, I try to make sure there is bread at supper and alter most recipes to include whole wheat flour. A side of bread makes the rest of the food go further, and ensures that picky-eating little ones still get a full tummy. There are plenty of easy breads like cornbread, beer bread, and drop-style biscuits. But yeast rolls smell soooooooo good in the oven! Obviously not a gluten-free-friendly tip.
~Veggies--on top of the main dish and bread i like to have two veggie sides. The more choices, the better chances kids will get something they'll eat.
![]() |
| The Rascal has always been my sous-chef. |
~Potatoes, pasta, and rice. Three great staples for hearty meals. Potatoes are pretty self-explanatory. Roasting them is the best for our fam because "someone", who tends to be our pickier eater, will NOT eat mashed potatoes. Just as well. Roasted w/ a touch of olive oil, salt, red pepper, and rosemary is delicious and healthier. If you've ever eaten my mashed potatoes you know what I mean!
~I like to buy whole grain pasta--such an easy way to get whole grains into another meal. Sometimes you just have to have pure, white angel hair pasta, but as often as I can we do whole grain pasta.
~Rice is essential in most kitchens, and brown rice is an excellent way to get in more whole grains. Brown rices are not stripped of their---you know, the stuff that makes them a whole grain. ;) So that's what I aim for.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to plan next week's dinner menu.
*I tried the two week method for several years, planning a two week menu and making one big trip every two weeks. But I found that I still needed to go to the store on the by-weeks and the cost of that always put me over my budget. Plus, plans change! Between the people we feed, the people who feed us, and whatever else comes up last minute--two weeks was too long to try to keep to one plan. So I figured, adjust the budget to spend the same amount every week, safeguard against those emergency in-between trips, and have a better idea of what we'll actually need on hand. I waste far less food this way, and I rarely end up with not enough of something.









Love this! There are so many similarities to the way we do things. I go on Saturday mornings, make my menu on Friday nights, and buy many of the same foods in the same price range. I always have a hard time with getting good flavor in frozen veggies. Have any tips on that?
ReplyDeleteI generously butter my corn after I've brought it to a boil & drained it. (Butter is Heaven's gold in my book.) ;) Green beans, we can all handle straight up, no salt or anything. Again I try to boil them as shortly as possible so I don't kill the only surviving vitamins. I have done such things as adding chicken bouillon or (shhh, bacon fat) to the cooking water. Peas and lima beans....butter! :)
ReplyDelete