
Things are still going well for our little family in the big AR. We are staying very busy with people, activities, classes, museums, swimming, etc.
(Just one of our little activities.)
But mostly it's people we're after. Arkansas is jam-packed with people we love and who have loved us for a very long time. So we are spending as much time as we can visiting all of them. And so many we haven't even gotten to yet!
B.daddy's work schedule is supposed to let up a little bit in the coming months, so we are hopeful we will get to everyone before we have to leave.
(My view while visiting old friends.)
Recently on one lucky Sunday, we got to spend time with two of our favorite families. And what do I do when I'm with people I love? I feed them. Yes, food is definitely my primary love language. It is quite hard for me to think of anything more joyful than meeting this basic need in the pit of their bellies. Since we're all in the South, and embracing every aspect of it, I made Gumbo. I'm not a gumbo veteran by any means. But I cannot follow a recipe to save my life. Let me rephrase that. I can follow a recipe to a T; I just don't want to. I have a hard time sticking to the rules. I always think it needs a little more of this or that. And it seemed to need tomatoes. So I added those. :)
So, enjoy the recipe if you want to give it a try. And if not, invite us over and I'll make it for you!
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 lbs. cooked and shredded chicken
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced
1 lb. cooked, peeled shrimp
2 14 oz. cans chicken broth
3 cans diced tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground red pepper
1 tsp. ground white pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. gumbo file
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
salt to taste
1~Combine 2/3 cup oil and flour in small skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 15 minutes or until roux is caramel colored. Remove from heat. Can chill for up to 24 hours.
2~In a Dutch oven, sautee chopped veggies in oil until tender. Add garlic and all seasonings; cook for about 5 more minutes.
3~Add roux, broth, tomatoes, sausage, and chicken to the Dutch oven. Stir well until blended.
4~Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
5~Add shrimp 5 minutes before time to serve and heat through.
6~Serve over hot rice with a bottle of Tabasco at the table. :)



Dear one, It's been over a month since you posted and although you are here instead of there and I see you more often, I still enjoy your blog posts. We don't always have time or space to share our hearts when we are ALL together. :) Our time together Thursday was a true treasure...getting to hear straight from you and your heart about your journey and quest for a place to call home. Love you...
ReplyDelete