
If you are a grandparent (of Li'l Bit's) and you follow Facebook, you might have noticed that she visited Children's Hospital in Boston yesterday. So, for your information--literally--I would like to give an explanation of what is going on. Meaning, there will be nothing in this post of interest or entertainment for the general public. Since, you know, all my posts absolutely gush with humor and enchantment. (sarcasm assumed.)


Since Li'l Bit was our one and only baby I've noticed her spine has an exaggerated curve. It's not a side-to-side curvature, but rather a front-to-back. So it's not scoliosis. It wasn't until 2010 that our pediatrician became concerned about it. So that year we saw our first orthopedist at Children's, and right after the start of 2011 she had her first MRI. She loved the MRI!! They gave her goggles and earphones so she could watch any movie she chose while having to lay completely still. I can't think of another child so perfectly suited for that exact situation. All of the above confirmed that her curvature is very slight and none of her internal workings are in danger. The plan was to watch her growth each year and keep an eye on how things are developing.


Yesterday was 2012's annual check up. We saw a different doctor, whom I really liked because he told me specifically how her spine malformed and pointed it all out on her last two x-rays and last year's MRI. I love it when a doctor gives actual, physical information. And it doesn't hurt that he's the chief of spinal surgery @ Boston Children's Hospital...on top of being Harvard educated and now Harvard educating. So yeah, she may not get to see her cousins every week, but she'll see the world's best doctors whenever needed. Not the same thing at all, but it's something.
Basically, she has three spinal segments without the proper spaces and discs between them. And though they act as one as they should not, they will continue to grow and change. These segments are right above the small of her back, wherein lies the potential problem. The small of her back curves more than usual to make up for the locked vertebra. Her spine does the same above the locked vertebra--which is the most noticeable aspect of malformation. But that area is not quite as risky, if I understand correctly. A perfectly normal spine experiences strain and pain @ the small of the back, so a malformed one is vulnerable to possibly excessive pain. This year's doctor agreed that we are still in the wait-and-see stage, but he had a slightly different input than last year's. He said, basically, should our waiting-and-seeing eyes discover that her malformed segment might in the future cause far too much strain on the rest of her back, we should intervene sooner rather than later. I could tell you what he means by intervene, but I'm not quite ready to go there. 1) We may never have to, and 2) It's kind of a big deal.
We did an x-ray yesterday, but did not need to do an MRI. Thankfully she was not too crushed by that news. She was so looking forward to it! Seriously. That girl.
The x-rays from 2010 and 2011 showed only the slightest change in the problematic area. Yesterdays x-ray showed almost no change at all from 2011. So we're good for now. We'll get an x-ray every year, discuss the issues with the famed doctor, and keep our parental ears open for any signs of abnormal pain or discomfort.
So, that's the dealio, yo.

Thank you for the update. Very thankful things are as good as they are right now.
ReplyDeleteWill the doc you saw this time still be there for future visits or will it change again? Do they have a lot of turnover there as in a teaching hospital, new residents, etc., etc.? I know you might not know the answer but that's the only question I want to ask right now.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if the doctor will be there. But I would guess if he's not, it will be because he retires. :)
ReplyDelete