
the view from the back porch
Sometimes it takes a long time to really appreciate a friend.
When I was a teenager, life was difficult. 1) I was a teenager, and 2) The family unit I thought was the one and only way was quickly unravelling. Thankfully I didn't feel the need to seek comfort in material things or illegal things. I would have been in A LOT of trouble if I had. Mostly, I sought refuge in people who loved me. Sometimes that was a boyfriend, but more than not, that was a grown up....or two.....or three.
I had the most rare privilege of being surrounded by grown people who wanted nothing more than to love and help me. Even I, basically a child, knew that was a gift.
Today I'm remembering Gordon and Debi.
Those hippies...
gordon. handsome as ever.
From the time I was twelve to the time I "aged out" they hosted a weekly Bible study. That was a time when not only was I challenged to really think about the choices I made every day, but it was also a time of empowerment. When Gordon would ask a hard question and all would get quiet, he'd eventually look across the table and say, "What are you thinking, Sharla?" Do you have any idea what that does for a 15-year-old introvert? I felt like a giant...I felt valued. He looked at me and he knew my mind was always churning. In the present day my husband does the same thing. And every time he does I want to go grab his red head and kiss him square on the lips.
And Debi.
my wine buddy. sip and chat and listen to crickets.
I don't think I really appreciated Debi when I was growing up. Much like you don't appreciate your own mother until you're older, I didn't understand Debi's mother-heart until I had one of my own.
Five or six months into our Arkansas journey I finally reconnected with her. Being at her house is like a heaven-drug. It is open and breezy and always smells like fresh flowers. It's actually a lot like Debi herself. She designed it--literally--with an excellently understated warmth. Life flows in and out. Love flows the same. We camped our rambunctious family inside their home for most of our last months in Arkansas. We might have overstayed our welcome had the welcome actually had limitations. But it did not and I enjoyed the perpetual hug of her home until only Massachusetts could draw me away.
Obviously I left their company wanting to do just what they do. They are nearing retirement age, but they are far from retired. Their life is full, and they are happy.
Full.
Happy.
That is what I want. I want it now, and I especially want it in the autumn of life when it must be so easy to sink into loneliness. So, how have they done it? How have they managed to surround themselves with crazy grand-friends when they have no grandchildren or children of their own?
All I could figure out is that they Love. Every smile, every step, every decision seems to be governed by love.
They love each other. I don't think I've ever known a man to dote on his wife the way Gordon does. What he does, he does for Debi. He openly adores her, and after so many years together, he is still learning her. He is a student of What Makes Debi So Beautiful. I know this because he talks about it when she's around and when she's not. He enjoys sharing who his wife is.
They love others. Just try and keep Debi from helping you when she sees you have a need. Just try. It's not possible. They seek to serve. Instead of working to earn money she spends her days helping all the mamas and papas around raise their kids. Encouragement flows like a geyser from their mouths. If they aren't helping you out, they're telling you you're awesome. And if they're not doing that they're taking you somewhere to have fun.
They love their life. We spent most nights watching their screen saver cycle through all of Gordon's photos. These photos are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen, but they are especially beautiful for one reason. To me the greatest thing about them is they are pictures of their life. 90% of the photos are of things they've seen in nature and 10% are of friends and family members--usually in nature. They get out there and enjoy their life. There is nothing exceptionally exciting about where they live or what they do for work. But they seek out beauty. They seek out adventure and discovery. Their eyes are open and their feet are movin'.
And I love them.



Amen!
ReplyDelete