B.daddy and I are pancake connoisseurs. We will not revisit a brunch cafe unless their pancakes make us moan. (Although, with three kids and a mortgage we don't revisit brunch cafes as much as we used to. *sigh*) We love pancakes. A lot. So I am constantly searching for the perfect recipe. Perfect pancakes are more difficult than you'd think. Especially since most people have differing opinions about what makes a pancake perfect.
For B.daddy, he basically wants a pancake to be light, fluffy, and slightly sweet. I agree, but I sometimes want pure, white flour pancakes with a tiny bit of crisp at the edges. Sometimes I want a seasonal pancake with pumpkin and spice or blueberries and oatmeal. Most of the time I want a hearty pancake that I know makes my insides and my family's insides healthier and stronger, and one that keeps my kids fuller longer.
I have finally found the perfect pancake recipe to fulfill my most practical desire. Four Grain Flapjacks. I found it in the "Joy of Cooking" and the only thing I change is I double it, and freeze all the leftovers for easy mornings. I made these for a Girls Only sleepover Li'l Bit had this Summer. Sweet, serious L.W. said, "Can you please give my mom this recipe?!" My husband and kids always love these pancakes. They are light and fluffy in texture and easy on the tongue. The addition of cinnamon and nutmeg can warm your soul on cold, winter mornings. But the best thing of all: all the whole grains! These guys are healthy and yummy.
Without further ado, I give you...
Four Grain Flapjacks
~Makes 18 pancakes; doubled makes 3 dozen plus a few.
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
(1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional)
(1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, optional)
~Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup honey
3 eggs
~Combine wet ingredients in separate bowl.
~Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir till mixed w/ lumps. Cook on griddle or skillet. (I have to set my griddle on 300 degrees so the whole wheat doesn't burn before they're ready to flip. Every griddle is different, so keep a close eye on your pancakes until you find the right temp.)
~Butter, syrup--yes, those are verbs--and enjoy!
P.S. Whole grain pancakes were always a great take-along snack for my little toddlers. Very little crumbage in the car seat, and tummy satisfying.



No comments:
Post a Comment