No, seriously. I bought my dog Christmas pajamas. I took him to Petco to get his facial and pedicure--i.e. I can't groom those parts of his anatomy--and I saw rows and rows of Christmas gear for dogs and cats. As in sweaters, coats, running gear, Santa costumes, etc. I was super tempted to get him a cheesy Christmas sweater, but I controlled the urge. It's silly to dress animals. Clothes are for persons. Persons. Not animals.
Well, then we went to Target to run another errand, and would you believe what I saw?! Christmas pajamas for dogs. For dogs! This is significant because our family's Christmas card photo always includes the entire Jones clan decked out in Christmas PJ's. (Except last year. Sorry, no card.) How could I NOT get those adorable little PJ's for only $9.99.
Whether that's ten bucks waisted or well spent, I don't care. I have officially prioritized my dog's existence over ten bucks in my pocket.
I always wanted another sweet Shih Tzu to love. (Harvey was the love of my life for 15 years before he passed away.) But I could not believe my husband jumped on my bandwagon last May. Maybe he knew we were nearing our lost baby's due date and I'd need some comfort. Or maybe he just saw enough photos of adorable Shih Tzu puppies. They really are the cutest puppies on. the. face. of. the. Earth.
Seriously. They are.
Long story short, our little creature shipped up to Boston via The Shermee Express, and we've been in love ever since. As soon as he got here I was struck by what a comfort he actually was. To hold him, to feed him, to be near him when he sleeps. There is something very Unfallen about mankind looking after animals. But I'm pretty darn Fallen, so it struck me as strange. Still does.
In the end though, I know that this hairy, smelly creature is a blessing from God. Do you think that maybe God comforts us where we are--even if it appears ridiculous to us? To others? I think God cares enough about us that ridiculous doesn't matter.
So we have a dog. And I got him Christmas pajamas.
And he most definitely will be on our Christmas card this year.

No comments:
Post a Comment